Last-gasp Luiz gives Chelsea victory at Basel
Basel: David Luiz scored with the very last kick of the game to earn Chelsea a dramatic 2-1 win at FC Basel in the first leg of their Europa League semi-final on Thursday.
Basel, who were appearing in their first European semi-final, looked set to earn a draw after a contentious 87th-minute penalty from Fabian Schar cancelled out Victor Moses` early opener.
However, deep into injury time, Luiz drove a 25-yard free-kick beneath the Basel wall and into the bottom-right corner to put Rafael Benitez`s side in control ahead of next week`s return leg at Stamford Bridge.
"We played against a good team. You could see the intensity and the pace of the game, but we had enough chances to score and the penalty, which was a surprise for everyone, could have made a difference," interim manager Benitez told ITV.
"It is always important to win. To score an away goal is important, but to score two and win is even better."
In the end, the only sour note for the visitors was a yellow card for Ashley Cole that rules him out of the second leg, although Basel will also be without centre-back Aleksandar Dragovic for the same reason.
Chelsea had welcomed Cole back after a three-week absence due to a hamstring injury, but their wariness was demonstrated by interim coach Benitez`s decision to deploy centre-back Luiz in a midfield holding role.
Basel eliminated Tottenham Hotspur on penalties in the quarter-finals, having knocked Manchester United out of last season`s Champions League, and they served early notice of their threat when Mohammed Elneny curled a cross onto the roof of the Chelsea net.
It was Chelsea, however, who took the lead in the 12th minute, to the disappointment of watching Basel native Roger Federer.
Frank Lampard drew a smart save from Yann Sommer with a near-post volley and from the resulting corner, the England midfielder`s cross struck Moses and ricocheted into the roof of the net.
Basel responded immediately, briefly forcing the visitors onto the back foot.
Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech tipped a stinging Schar free-kick over the bar, while Valentin Stocker hit the outside of the post with a drilled cross from the right.
The away side finished the half strongly, though, with Sommer producing a sharp reflex save to repel Ramires` half-volley from close range.
Eden Hazard might have doubled Chelsea`s lead shortly before half-time, but a last-ditch challenge from Park Joo-Ho put him off just as he was about to take aim at the exposed Sommer.
In the opening exchanges of the second period, both sides hit the woodwork with chances that would have greatly altered the face of the game.
First, Stocker rolled a low shot against the base of Cech`s right-hand post, before Fernando Torres saw a left-foot snap-shot crash back off an upright after a bold run down the Chelsea left from Hazard.
Basel coach Murat Yakin introduced Marcelo Diaz and Jacques Zoua from the bench, and the hosts saw Fabian Frei and then Zoua shoot narrowly wide from just outside the box.
After several nervous moments in the Chelsea area, the hosts` pressure told when Czech referee Pavel Kralovec penalised Cesar Azpilicueta for making contact with Stocker from behind.
Schar duly drilled his spot-kick down the middle, before Sommer produced a stunning point-blank save to deny John Terry, only for Luiz to strike in the fourth minute of added time to end Basel`s unbeaten home record in this season`s competition.
"The team reacted very well (to going behind) and we were even looking for a winner, but in the end we were the unlucky team," said Yakin.
"We shouldn`t have conceded a goal like that, but overall it was a good performance."
In the other semi-final, Fenerbahce hit the woodwork three times against Benfica but finally prevailed through a 72nd-minute Egemen Korkmaz goal to procure a 1-0 advantage ahead of the second leg in Portugal.
Korkmaz headed home powerfully from a corner at the Sukru Saracoglu Stadium to give Aykut Kocaman`s hosts a wafer-thin victory as they bid to reach their first ever European final.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22