Late goals earn Uruguay victory over Angola in Lisbon
Lisbon: World Cup semi-finalists Uruguay produced a disappointing performance and needed late goals from strikers Edinson Cavani and Abel Hernandez to record a 2-0 friendly win over Angola.
Uruguay missed Diego Forlan and strike partner Luis Suarez after they opted out of the squad for personal reasons.
After threatening only rarely against an organised Angolan side, the Latin Americans were indebted to debutant Hernandez.
After coming on as a second-half substitute, he earned the penalty that Cavani coolly slotted in after 84 minutes and six minutes later Hernandez netted with a delightful curling shot that flew into keeper Lama`s net.
Oscar Tabarez, who guided the Uruguyans at the World Cup in South Africa, missed the game as he is in negotiations to renew his contract.
He was replaced for the friendly by under-20s coach Juan Verzeri.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'