Laurent Blanc to wait before deciding on new contract
Paris Saint-Germain coach Laurent Blanc says he will wait until after next weekend`s League Cup final against Lyon before deciding whether to accept the offer of a new contract.
Blanc`s existing deal is due to expire at the end of next season but negotiations about an extension have been ongoing for some time.
His credit took a serious knock with Tuesday`s exit from the Champions League to Chelsea at the quarter-final stage, but PSG could secure a second consecutive Ligue 1 title by beating Lyon on Sunday, as long as Monaco lose away to Rennes on Saturday.
And the capital club will play Lyon again next Saturday at the Stade de France, so Blanc admits he is focussing purely on the field at the moment.
"I have the offer of a contract but we will wait because there are more important things to worry about on the pitch," he said at a press conference on Saturday. "I will give an answer in 10 days.
"I decided myself that we had something to finish on the field before finalising my extension. I don`t want to be distracted by the games that await us. I am very happy in Paris and very, very motivated by what`s happening on the pitch."
Blanc added that the days following their Champions League exit have been difficult but said that he is motivated by what is left to play for before the end of the campaign.
"It wasn`t easy. The lads were very, very disappointed. Everyone was affected by the elimination," said the former France defender.
"The Champions League is a dream. Wednesday and Thursday were not very enjoyable. Now we need to move on. There could be worse ways to end the season.
"We still have the chance to win two trophies. We have got ourselves into a position to win these titles when we could have been left with nothing to play for.
"I get the impression that the Champions League is all that matters. We are making winning the French title, a national Cup and the Champions Trophy banal. The players know that they need to finish the season well."
He added: "Lyon are a very good team. It is a good thing to have them coming up. Lyon played well in both games against Juventus."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know