Lazio confirm Petkovic sacking
Rome: Vladimir Petkovic has been sacked as coach of Lazio and replaced by his predecessor Edoardo Reja, the club confirmed in a statement on Saturday.
Reja, 68, had taken charge of training sessions this week even though Petkovic had said that he been told nothing in writing by Lazio and still considered himself to be their coach.
Petkovic, who took over at the start of last season, signed a deal just before Christmas to take charge of the Swiss national side from next season.
Even though he will not begin his new role until after his contract with Lazio has expired in June, club president Claudio Lotito was still reported by Italian media to be angry over the move.
"Lazio communicates that it has terminated the employment contract with Vladimir Petkovic for just cause following the conclusion of a disciplinary procedure and (after hearing the) justification of the interested parties," said the club in a statement.
Switzerland announced on December 23 that Petkovic had agreed replace Ottmar Hitzfeld who will leave after the World Cup in Brazil.
The Bosnia-born coach led Lazio to seventh place in Serie A last season plus the Coppa Italia title with a win over neighbours AS Roma in the final.
This season has been less impressive and they are 10th in the table with 20 points from 17 games and Petkovic`s future had been the subject of speculation before the Swiss announcement.
Reja has coached around 20 clubs since starting his career in 1980, including Napoli, Genoa, Torino and Cagliari. He was previously in charge at Lazio for two years before he resigned and was replaced by Petkovic following the 2011/12 season.
Reja`s first game in charge will be at home to Inter Milan on Monday. Lazio are the fifth Serie A side to change coach this season following Catania, Sampdoria, Genoa and Chievo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan