Lebanese soccer referees charged over ‘sexual favours to fix match’ allegations
Melbourne: Three Lebanese soccer referees have been charged over allegations of receiving sexual favours in exchange for fixing a match in Singapore, according to Singapore’s anti-corruption bureau. According to court documents, referee Ali Sabbagh and assistants Ali Eid and Abdallah Taleb were charged for ‘corruptly’ receiving sexual gratification ‘as an inducement’ to fix a match they were to officiate and committing an offence punishable under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
The Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB) of Singapore stated that they had acted based upon prior information on ‘match fixing’ involving the three referees, adding that the trio corruptly received sexual gratification from three women which was revealed by subsequent investigations. The CPIB further stated that Singapore has always adopted a zero tolerance policy approach towards corruption, adding that match fixing of any form is an unforgivable offence in the country. The bureau further said that it investigates into match-fixing through bribery cases and will not hesitate to take action against any parties involved if they had given or received bribes to fix a match.
The three referees had been due to officiate in Tampines Rovers` AFC Cup fixture with the Indian team East Bengal, which was won 4-2 by the Indian team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins