Lebanese soccer referees charged over ‘sexual favours to fix match’ allegations
Melbourne: Three Lebanese soccer referees have been charged over allegations of receiving sexual favours in exchange for fixing a match in Singapore, according to Singapore’s anti-corruption bureau. According to court documents, referee Ali Sabbagh and assistants Ali Eid and Abdallah Taleb were charged for ‘corruptly’ receiving sexual gratification ‘as an inducement’ to fix a match they were to officiate and committing an offence punishable under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
The Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB) of Singapore stated that they had acted based upon prior information on ‘match fixing’ involving the three referees, adding that the trio corruptly received sexual gratification from three women which was revealed by subsequent investigations. The CPIB further stated that Singapore has always adopted a zero tolerance policy approach towards corruption, adding that match fixing of any form is an unforgivable offence in the country. The bureau further said that it investigates into match-fixing through bribery cases and will not hesitate to take action against any parties involved if they had given or received bribes to fix a match.
The three referees had been due to officiate in Tampines Rovers` AFC Cup fixture with the Indian team East Bengal, which was won 4-2 by the Indian team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'