Leicester City promoted to Premier League
London: Leicester City clinched promotion to the Premier League without kicking a ball on Saturday as their two main rivals both lost.
Nigel Pearson`s side had already beaten Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 on Friday to move within touching distance of a return to the English top-flight for the first time since 2004.
And the Championship leaders were able to celebrate confirmation of their promotion less than 24 hours later as third placed QPR lost 2-1 at Bournemouth, while fourth placed Derby crashed 1-0 at Middlesbrough.
Those results ensured a top-two finish for the big-spending Foxes, who are owned by a Thai consortium backed by chairman Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha.
Leicester`s promotion has been on the cards for several weeks after they surged nine points clear of second placed Burnley thanks to a superb 21-game unbeaten run.
They already have 89 points, two more than Cardiff`s final total when the Welsh club won promotion as second tier champions last season.
With six games still to play, Pearson`s men can focus on finishing top and possibly cracking the 100-point barrier.
Speaking after Friday`s win at the King Power Stadium, Pearson had insisted he wouldn`t watch the scores come in on Saturday.
"No. My job is to get this club promoted. Whether it`s tomorrow, whether it`s Tuesday, the next week, the week after it`s irrelevant really. It`s about getting promotion," he said.
"I want us to win every game that we can and I want us to be champions, but we`ll have to fight very hard to do that.
"We`ll get promoted as and when we deserve it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack