Leonardo handed nine-month ban
Brazil: The 43-year-old was issued with the suspension on Thursday after he was adjudged to have "deliberately barged" referee Alexandre Castro earlier this month.
The club will appeal Paris Saint-Germain CEO Leonardo has been slapped with a nine-month ban by the Professional Football League (LFP) for his part in the fracas which followed the 1-1 draw with Valenciennes earlier this month.
The sporting director, 43, is now forbidden from sitting on the bench, going into the referee`s dressing room and attending league meetings, however he can go into the team`s dressing room and can still negotiate transfers.
The ban will apply to domestic games and therefore will not affect Champions League encounters.
The Ligue 1 winners were also handed a three-point suspension, which will come into force at any stage next season should another of their club officials become embroiled in a similar case.
The former Brazil international, whose suspension started on May 8 and will end on February 8, 2014, appeared to barge referee Alexandre Castro in the tunnel at Parc de Princes on May 5.
The official club website have issued a statement which they describe the ban as "unjustified and extremely harsh".
The statement read: "Paris Saint-Germain have taken note of the decision of the LFP Disciplinary Committee to suspend Leonardo, the team`s sporting director, for a nine-month period and to sanction the club with a conditional withdrawal of three points.”
"In light of the material elements submitted to the members of the Disciplinary Committee, PSG consider this decision to be unjustified and extremely harsh. As a result, and in solidarity with its sporting director, PSG will appeal this decision."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH