Lescott called up to England squad; Dawson and Lennon injured
Manchester City defender Joleon Lescott has been called up to the England squad for this week`s World Cup qualifiers against San Marino and Montenegro following the withdrawal of Tottenham duo Michael Dawson and Aaron Lennon.
Lescott was initially left out of the squad by Roy Hodgson because of a lack of first-team action in Roberto Mancini`s side, but has been named as a replacement for Dawson, who was substituted at half-time of Spurs` 1-0 defeat to Fulham with a hamstring problem.
"[Dawson] felt his hamstring muscle going in the first half," Andre Villas-Boas told Sky Sports. "If we had brought him on in the second half we would be risking him a major injury.
"I think Michael will be assessed by the England team doctors, they will be in communication with our medical department to find out if he will make it or not. He probably won`t, but it`s something that they have to decide between them."
Lennon missed out against Fulham entirely after making a late cameo at Inter in the Europa League on Thursday, and Villas-Boas said that a number of problems were preventing him from joining up with the national team.
"Lennon won`t make it," Villas-Boas added. "He has been struggling a lot with injuries.
"We risked him the other day against Inter and he is on the brink of rupturing his muscles so we have decided to take him out of this game. He has groin and hamstring (injuries)."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India