Lescott called up to England squad; Dawson and Lennon injured
Manchester City defender Joleon Lescott has been called up to the England squad for this week`s World Cup qualifiers against San Marino and Montenegro following the withdrawal of Tottenham duo Michael Dawson and Aaron Lennon.
Lescott was initially left out of the squad by Roy Hodgson because of a lack of first-team action in Roberto Mancini`s side, but has been named as a replacement for Dawson, who was substituted at half-time of Spurs` 1-0 defeat to Fulham with a hamstring problem.
"[Dawson] felt his hamstring muscle going in the first half," Andre Villas-Boas told Sky Sports. "If we had brought him on in the second half we would be risking him a major injury.
"I think Michael will be assessed by the England team doctors, they will be in communication with our medical department to find out if he will make it or not. He probably won`t, but it`s something that they have to decide between them."
Lennon missed out against Fulham entirely after making a late cameo at Inter in the Europa League on Thursday, and Villas-Boas said that a number of problems were preventing him from joining up with the national team.
"Lennon won`t make it," Villas-Boas added. "He has been struggling a lot with injuries.
"We risked him the other day against Inter and he is on the brink of rupturing his muscles so we have decided to take him out of this game. He has groin and hamstring (injuries)."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her