Lescott called up to England squad; Dawson and Lennon injured
Manchester City defender Joleon Lescott has been called up to the England squad for this week`s World Cup qualifiers against San Marino and Montenegro following the withdrawal of Tottenham duo Michael Dawson and Aaron Lennon.
Lescott was initially left out of the squad by Roy Hodgson because of a lack of first-team action in Roberto Mancini`s side, but has been named as a replacement for Dawson, who was substituted at half-time of Spurs` 1-0 defeat to Fulham with a hamstring problem.
"[Dawson] felt his hamstring muscle going in the first half," Andre Villas-Boas told Sky Sports. "If we had brought him on in the second half we would be risking him a major injury.
"I think Michael will be assessed by the England team doctors, they will be in communication with our medical department to find out if he will make it or not. He probably won`t, but it`s something that they have to decide between them."
Lennon missed out against Fulham entirely after making a late cameo at Inter in the Europa League on Thursday, and Villas-Boas said that a number of problems were preventing him from joining up with the national team.
"Lennon won`t make it," Villas-Boas added. "He has been struggling a lot with injuries.
"We risked him the other day against Inter and he is on the brink of rupturing his muscles so we have decided to take him out of this game. He has groin and hamstring (injuries)."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- EPFO to hire consultant to draft housing scheme for members
- Ravi Shastri rates his 18-month stint as Indian team's Director the most memorable
- CBSE class 10 result 2016, CBSE Class X Results 2016, CBSE 10th Board Result 2016 to be declared tomorrow; check www.cbse.nic.in, www.cbseresults.nic.in
- Retirement age for all government doctors will be increased to 65, announces PM Narendra Modi
- Leander Paes-Martina Hingis, Sania Mirza-Ivan Dodig pairs ease into 2016 French Open pre-quarters