Leverkusen make up ground on Bayern
Berlin: Leverkusen edged Hamburg 3-0 to reduce their gap on Bayern Munich to nine points while newly promoted Frankfurt shocked 10-man Wolfsburg 2-0 within six minutes at the 17th round of Bundesliga.
Second positioned Leverkusen reduced their gap to league leaders Bayern Munich to nine points Saturday following a comfortable 3-0 home win over Hamburg, reports Xinhua.
The hosts staged a bright start when Andre Schuerrle nearly opened the scoring as his effort only rattled the right post, with three minutes into the match.
Leverkusen kept things firmly in their hands and opened the scoring with 27 minutes into the match.
Andre Schuerrle`s cross was flicked on by Gonzalo Castro to find Stefan Kiebling, who slotted home from inside the box.
Hamburg almost responded with the equaliser seconds later but the right post denied the header by Artjoms Rudnevs.
Instead, the "Werkself" added a second goal to their tally when Jens Hegler and Kiebling combined their way through Hamburg`s defence to find Schuerrle, who hammered the ball into the top left corner eight minutes before the break.
After the interval, Leverkusen were not done with scoring. Kiebling wrapped up his brace when he lobbed the ball over Hamburg goalkeeper Rene Adler following a long goal kick by Bernd Leno.
Leverkusen sit on second place with 33 points while Hamburg dropped to the 10th position with 24 points.
Newly promoted Frankfurt preserve their stunning performances in the top flight as they regained third position in the standings with a 2-0 victory over 10-man Wolfsburg.
Frankfurt`s Alexander Meier gave the visitors the lead when he headed home a cross at the second post with 12 minutes into the match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Security at Olympics "robust", says IOC chief
- Amaal Mallik excited about his 'Baar Baar Dekho' track
- Gael Monfils to face Ivo Karlovic in Washington Open final
- Olympics 2016: IOC faces historic call on Russia Rio ban
- Kashmir unrest over Burhan Wani's killing: Curfew lifted from these four districts - FULL DETAILS