Lewandowski won`t force Manduzkic out: Rummenigge
Munich: Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge insists Mario Mandzukic has a future at the club despite them signing a deal with Robert Lewandowski on Saturday.
The striker, 27, who has scored of 10 Bundesliga goals this season, has been linked with a move away from the Allianz Arena in the summer, coinciding with Lewandowski`s arrival from Borussia Dortmund on a free transfer.
However, Rummenigge has moved quickly to quash such speculation following confirmation of the contract with the Polish attacker, insisting that the Bavarians are in fact hoping to extend the Croat`s current deal.
"We`re very pleased with Mario," Rummenigge told Bayern`s official website. "He made a significant contribution to us winning so many trophies last year.
"He`s a great player who is thriving at Bayern. He has a contract with us until 30 June 2016, and I told his agent during the Club World Cup that we`re willing to consider an early contract extension.
"It is by no means a topic of discussion that we want to sell Mario."
Chelsea defender David Luiz has been heavily linked with Pep Guardiola`s squad, but Rummenigge claims that the reported interest has been invented as die Roten are not looking at bringing in the likes of the Brazil international this month.
"There`s a lot of speculation at the moment, especially in England," the Bayern chief added. "We`re being linked with David Luiz and a number of Spanish players.
"All I can say, very clearly, is bringing in these players is not of interest to us. We`re not concerned about players we`re being linked with joining next summer.
"There`s nothing lined up, so we have nothing to hide. It`s simply not an issue."
Bayern return to Bundesliga action, having lifted the Club Word Cup in December, on January 25 at Borussia Monchengladbach.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan