Life bans for three Guatemalan footballers
Zurich: FIFA has banned three Guatemalan national team players for life for match fixing.
World football`s governing body claimed midfielder Guillermo Ramirez Ortega and defenders Yony Wilson Flores Monroy and Gustavo Adolfo Cabrera Marroquin helped fix the results of three matches.
The players "have all been banned from taking part in any kind of football-related activity, for life," FIFA said in a statement Wednesday.
Two of the matches were friendly defeats for the national team; 0-2 to Venezuela last year and 2-3 loss to Costa Rica in May.
The third was a CONCACAF Champions League game between CSD Municipal and Santos Laguna in 2010, which Santos won 6-1. Only Yony Flores and Guillermo Ramirez were Municipal players at the time.
The players had already been banned for life nationally by the Guatemalan FA last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured