Life bans for three Guatemalan footballers
Zurich: FIFA has banned three Guatemalan national team players for life for match fixing.
World football`s governing body claimed midfielder Guillermo Ramirez Ortega and defenders Yony Wilson Flores Monroy and Gustavo Adolfo Cabrera Marroquin helped fix the results of three matches.
The players "have all been banned from taking part in any kind of football-related activity, for life," FIFA said in a statement Wednesday.
Two of the matches were friendly defeats for the national team; 0-2 to Venezuela last year and 2-3 loss to Costa Rica in May.
The third was a CONCACAF Champions League game between CSD Municipal and Santos Laguna in 2010, which Santos won 6-1. Only Yony Flores and Guillermo Ramirez were Municipal players at the time.
The players had already been banned for life nationally by the Guatemalan FA last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Sunil Munjal to step down from Hero MotoCorp Board on August 16
- 'Munnabhai' third part delayed due to Sanjay Dutt biopic: Arshad Warsi
- Companies likely to raise about $75 bn through issuance of green bonds in 2016
- Mayawati slur row: No relief for expelled BJP leader Dayashankar Singh from Allahabad HC
- OMG! 'Naagin' Mouni Roy has a doppelganger in another TV actress—Picture proof inside