Life bans for three Guatemalan footballers
Zurich: FIFA has banned three Guatemalan national team players for life for match fixing.
World football`s governing body claimed midfielder Guillermo Ramirez Ortega and defenders Yony Wilson Flores Monroy and Gustavo Adolfo Cabrera Marroquin helped fix the results of three matches.
The players "have all been banned from taking part in any kind of football-related activity, for life," FIFA said in a statement Wednesday.
Two of the matches were friendly defeats for the national team; 0-2 to Venezuela last year and 2-3 loss to Costa Rica in May.
The third was a CONCACAF Champions League game between CSD Municipal and Santos Laguna in 2010, which Santos won 6-1. Only Yony Flores and Guillermo Ramirez were Municipal players at the time.
The players had already been banned for life nationally by the Guatemalan FA last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- LIVE: Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of US; Barack Obama thanks supporters