Ligue 1: PSG vs Sochaux - Preview
Paris: Paris Saint-Germain can wrap up their second straight Ligue 1 title this weekend as relegation-threated Sochaux provide what could be their final obstacle on Sunday.
A 10-point lead, following a sparkling domestic campaign which has seen Laurent Blanc`s side suffer just two defeats, means the title is theirs with a lunch-time win away to Sochaux or 24 hours earlier if Monaco lose at relegated Ajaccio.
Herve Renard, the flamboyant Sochaux coach who memorably led Zambia to their first African championship in 2012, has worked miracles to lift his men within three points of safety after taking over in mid-season.
The Frenchman would ideally hope PSG arrive at the Stade Auguste Bonal with the title wrapped up and in relaxed mood to face his players, who he told recently to "never give up" in their remarkable bid to avoid the drop.
While PSG`s season was severely damaged by their Champions League quarter-final exit against Chelsea, a 2-1 victory in the League Cup final last weekend over Lyon and a laboured 1-0 midweek win over Evian has helped lift the gloom of another failed European campaign.
Blanc was hardly satisfied by the form of his players on Wednesday and is just eager to tie up the title race before deciding on his own future for next season.
"It wasn`t our best match of course but we got the job done," said Blanc, following Blaise Matuidi`s late winner against Evian.
"We have to improve (against Sochaux) or we`ll have the same problems and it`s up to the players and staff to think about this.
"Nothing is ever accomplished in football if you don`t put in the necessary ingredients," continued the former Bordeaux and France coach.
"I have told the players that the title isn`t won yet and we`re still missing that final little effort but nothing is ever easy.
While few, if any, believe PSG can self-destruct from their position of power, a celebration has already been planned for the final day of the season on May 18 when Montpellier come to the capital`s cauldron.
After the ugly scenes of violence and hooliganism that marred their trophy celebration last year, it has already decided there will be no party in the streets of Paris this time around.
Elsewhere, Lille have a stranglehold on third spot and carry a seven point advantage to Bordeaux, while their closest pursuers Saint-Etienne cling to a Europa League spot by just two points over bitter rivals Lyon.
Saint-Etienne are on the road at Evian on Saturday while Lyon, who were held 0-0 by Toulouse in midweek, host Bastia at their Stade Gerland 24 hours later.
French Cup finalists Guingamp have been sucked into a relegation dogfight and host an equally desperate Valenciennes outfit in a massive match to keep surging Sochaux at bay.
The Brittany club are just two points above Renard`s side while Valenciennes are a further four adrift.
Nantes host Marseille in the only match on Friday while Lorient make the short trip to Rennes, Montpellier host Toulouse and Reims head south to Nice in the other Saturday fixtures.
Fixtures (1800 GMT unless stated):
Nantes v Marseille (1830)
Ajaccio v Monaco (1500), Rennes v Lorient, Montpellier v Toulouse, Nice v Reims, Evian v Saint-Etienne, Guingamp v Valenciennes
Sochaux v Paris Saint-Germain (1200), Lyon v Bastia (1500), Lille v Bordeaux (1900)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon