Lille squeezes past lowly Compiegne in French Cup
Paris: French Cup holder Lille needed an extra-time goal to beat non-league side Compiegne 1-0 and reach the last 16 on Saturday, while first-division team Ajaccio lost 3-2 to amateur side Bourg-Peronnas.
Lille was heading for a penalty shootout against Compiegne, which plays three divisions below the French champion, until substitute Bruno Gianni turned in Florent Balmont’s cross with six minutes remaining in extra time.
“He’s a young player and he got us out of trouble,” Lille coach Rudi Garcia said. “When you want to go far in a competition you need some scrappy wins, and that’s what we got.”
Soulimene Ben Chaib scored twice for Bourg-Peronnas, and strike partner Julio Tavers got the other.
Rennes beat Nice in a penalty shootout in an all-first division match that ended 0-0. Nice winger Anthony Mounier’s kick was saved by Benoit Costil.
“We played quite well but we had no invention in the final third of the field,” Rennes coach Frederic Antonetti said.
Second-division side Chateauroux won 2-1 at first-division Auxerre, with Maxime Bourgeois scoring both goals against the club where he was formed and which sent him out on loan this season.
Poland defender Dariusz Dudka replied for Auxerre.
Bordeaux survived a scare at third-division Creteil, winning 4-2 in a penalty shootout after the match ended 2-2.
Defender Mickael Ciani and forward Henri Saivet twice gave Bordeaux the lead, but forward Marcel Essombe responded each time for Creteil.
Dijon beat Istres 2-1 with Gael Kakuta and Koro Kone scoring in each half, and Evian won 2-0 at non-league Valence thanks to goals from striker Yannick Sagbo and midfielder Ali M’Madi.
In other Cup matches, it was: Limoges 0, Drancy 2, and Quevilly 1, Angers 0.
In Sunday’s Cup matches, it is: Gazelec Ajaccio vs. Le Havre; Lucon vs. Lyon; Valenciennes vs. Bastia, and Marseille vs. Le Havre.
Tours hosts Montpellier on Monday.
Paris Saint-Germain beat Sable FC 4-0 on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Loss of Y chromosomes ups Alzheimer's risk in men
- Ban on ABVP: BJP hints at action against Jammu University vice-chancellor
- US envoy calls on Syria rebels to respect truce
- Bond girl? Nah, not good enough! Priyanka Chopra has bigger dreams – Details inside
- UBHL seeks time till July to file results due to Mallya cases