Lille squeezes past lowly Compiegne in French Cup
Paris: French Cup holder Lille needed an extra-time goal to beat non-league side Compiegne 1-0 and reach the last 16 on Saturday, while first-division team Ajaccio lost 3-2 to amateur side Bourg-Peronnas.
Lille was heading for a penalty shootout against Compiegne, which plays three divisions below the French champion, until substitute Bruno Gianni turned in Florent Balmont’s cross with six minutes remaining in extra time.
“He’s a young player and he got us out of trouble,” Lille coach Rudi Garcia said. “When you want to go far in a competition you need some scrappy wins, and that’s what we got.”
Soulimene Ben Chaib scored twice for Bourg-Peronnas, and strike partner Julio Tavers got the other.
Rennes beat Nice in a penalty shootout in an all-first division match that ended 0-0. Nice winger Anthony Mounier’s kick was saved by Benoit Costil.
“We played quite well but we had no invention in the final third of the field,” Rennes coach Frederic Antonetti said.
Second-division side Chateauroux won 2-1 at first-division Auxerre, with Maxime Bourgeois scoring both goals against the club where he was formed and which sent him out on loan this season.
Poland defender Dariusz Dudka replied for Auxerre.
Bordeaux survived a scare at third-division Creteil, winning 4-2 in a penalty shootout after the match ended 2-2.
Defender Mickael Ciani and forward Henri Saivet twice gave Bordeaux the lead, but forward Marcel Essombe responded each time for Creteil.
Dijon beat Istres 2-1 with Gael Kakuta and Koro Kone scoring in each half, and Evian won 2-0 at non-league Valence thanks to goals from striker Yannick Sagbo and midfielder Ali M’Madi.
In other Cup matches, it was: Limoges 0, Drancy 2, and Quevilly 1, Angers 0.
In Sunday’s Cup matches, it is: Gazelec Ajaccio vs. Le Havre; Lucon vs. Lyon; Valenciennes vs. Bastia, and Marseille vs. Le Havre.
Tours hosts Montpellier on Monday.
Paris Saint-Germain beat Sable FC 4-0 on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Sweden, Kazakhstan, Ethiopia, Bolivia elected to UNSC for 2017-18
- Sturgeon to visit Brussels to defend Scotland`s EU place
- NATO, EU leaders pledge strong alliance to counter Brexit fallout
- EU leaders tell Britain to exit swiftly, market rout halts
- 'Beef smugglers' forced to eat cow dung in Faridabad