Lindegaard determined to seal Man U’s No.1 keeper spot from De Gea
London: Denmark international Anders Lindegaard has warned rival David De Gea that he is committed to reclaiming his position as Manchester United’s first-choice goalkeeper after a series of mistakes by the young Spaniard forced Sir Alex Ferguson into making a change.
Lindegaard had looked assured in the goal, but then he suffered a season-ending ankle injury in late January.
De Gea is on Olympics duty over the coming weeks, and Lindegaard can use United’s pre-season tour to impress Ferguson and potentially secure his spot in the team, The Daily Mirror reports.
Lindegaard said: “I played six or seven games in a row before I was injured, and, I think, that speaks for itself. If I don’t believe that I can become No.1, then no-one else can believe in it. So, of course, I believe in it.
“I’ve said a million times, I’m not at United to pick my nose, and, I will never be at United just to sit on my money. I want to deserve the money I earn, and I want to deserve it by playing. I’ve never seen myself as a straight No.2.”
Lindegaard, 28, admitted he did not feel he had the confidence of his teammates this time last year, when the squad embarked on a pre-season tour of the United States.
“I think I have more respect now, compared to 12 months ago. I went through a very hard period personally in terms of football before we went on the tour last season, because I didn’t play any games,” he revealed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!