Lineker slams `outdated` Hodgson for taking England `back to dark ages`
London: English football legend Gary Lineker has slammed England manager Roy Hodgson on Twitter for using ``outdated tactics``, and has accused him of taking England ``back to the dark ages``.
The Match of the Day presenter slammed Hodgson`s 4-4-2 tactics as England flew straight out to Brazil after 1-1 draw with the Republic of Ireland at Wembley. Writing on Twitter, Lineker, now a TV pundit, said that even though results have not been great, he had felt that tactically England was maturing, but added that Hodgson`s tactics is a step back to the ``dark ages`` of 2 lines of 4.
Lineker further said that it is necessary for a player to play between the lines instead of playing in straight lines, adding that depth gives flexibility, passing alternatives and creativity to the player. Lineker`s jibe on the social network site brought a defiant reaction from Hodgson who insisted that other top teams also play 4-4-2, adding that Borussia Dortmund also played in the same way which he found out while doing programme notes for UEFA about the systems Bayern and Dortmund used in European football.
According to Hodgson, the important thing for players is to attack and defend, which he added, his team, similar to Ireland, adding that Irish manager Roy Keane and player Shane Long made sure that that his team did not get a numerical superiority in midfield. Praising his players for their performance after Frank Lampard cancelled out Shane Long`s opener, Hodgson insisted the only downside was an ankle injury for Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge and that his team did not win.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video