Lionel Messi bags FIFA Ballon d`Or for record fourth time
Zurich: Lionel Messi has won the 2012 Fifa Ballon d`Or ahead of Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo and Barcelona team-mate Andres Iniesta.
The Argentine attacker becomes the first player in history to win the Ballon d`Or four times in succession. He previously shared the record of three consecutive victories with Michel Platini, while Dutch duo Johan Cruyff and Marco van Basten also won the prize three times.
Real Madrid talisman Ronaldo again had to settle for second place behind his great rival, while Euro 2012 hero Iniesta could only manage third.
Messi was unable to help Barcelona to the Liga title in 2011-12 as Real Madrid emerged victorious, while they were eliminated in the semi-finals of the Champions League, yet Messi`s brilliance was enough to help him to individual glory.
The recognition comes after a year in which the 25-year-old broke numerous records, including the most goals scored in a calendar year.
Messi netted an astonishing 91 strikes over the course of 2012 to crush Gerd Muller`s previous record of 85 goals in a year, scoring 79 for Barcelona and 12 more for Argentina.
One of the highlights for the prolific attacker was his display in the 7-1 Champions League thrashing of Bayer Leverkusen as he found the net five times. Additionally, Messi scored four in the Primera Division wins over Valencia and Espanyol.
Cristiano Ronaldo came second in the voting after steering Real Madrid to the Liga title with a string of fine performances, and impressing at Euro 2012 as he guided Portugal to the semi-finals of the competition.
Iniesta had to settle for third spot after winning the Copa del Rey with Barcelona, and successfully defending the European title with Spain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi