Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo top online searches during FIFA World Cup
New Delhi: He may not have been able to deliver the World Cup to Argentina but Lionel Messi topped the google search results for forwards during the just-concluded event in Brazil along with Portuguese star Cristiano Ronaldo.
"Portuguese star Christiano Ronaldo and Argentina`s Lionel Messi may have not performed to the expectations of fans this World Cup, but online search trends reveal that they retain the top spot when it comes to being the best strikers in the World Cup," Google said in a release.
There were more than 2.1 billion tournament-related searches on Google. For the record, Germany won their fourth world title beating Argentina 1-0 in the final which was decided in extra time.
American Tim Howard, who made 15 saves during the tournament, was the most searched goalkeeper beating Germany`s Golden Glove winner Manuel Neur.
Coming to defenders, football fans searched the Brazilian star pair David Luiz and Thiago Silva more than any other in the event.
Moving to the midfield, the Japanese-Chilean duo of Atsuto Uchida and Gonzalo Jara along with German`s Sami Khedira and Italian veteran Andrea Pirlo were the most searched.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police