Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo top online searches during FIFA World Cup
New Delhi: He may not have been able to deliver the World Cup to Argentina but Lionel Messi topped the google search results for forwards during the just-concluded event in Brazil along with Portuguese star Cristiano Ronaldo.
"Portuguese star Christiano Ronaldo and Argentina`s Lionel Messi may have not performed to the expectations of fans this World Cup, but online search trends reveal that they retain the top spot when it comes to being the best strikers in the World Cup," Google said in a release.
There were more than 2.1 billion tournament-related searches on Google. For the record, Germany won their fourth world title beating Argentina 1-0 in the final which was decided in extra time.
American Tim Howard, who made 15 saves during the tournament, was the most searched goalkeeper beating Germany`s Golden Glove winner Manuel Neur.
Coming to defenders, football fans searched the Brazilian star pair David Luiz and Thiago Silva more than any other in the event.
Moving to the midfield, the Japanese-Chilean duo of Atsuto Uchida and Gonzalo Jara along with German`s Sami Khedira and Italian veteran Andrea Pirlo were the most searched.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Fire at police station near Chennai's Marina Beach; police disperse protesters
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP