Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo top online searches during FIFA World Cup
New Delhi: He may not have been able to deliver the World Cup to Argentina but Lionel Messi topped the google search results for forwards during the just-concluded event in Brazil along with Portuguese star Cristiano Ronaldo.
"Portuguese star Christiano Ronaldo and Argentina`s Lionel Messi may have not performed to the expectations of fans this World Cup, but online search trends reveal that they retain the top spot when it comes to being the best strikers in the World Cup," Google said in a release.
There were more than 2.1 billion tournament-related searches on Google. For the record, Germany won their fourth world title beating Argentina 1-0 in the final which was decided in extra time.
American Tim Howard, who made 15 saves during the tournament, was the most searched goalkeeper beating Germany`s Golden Glove winner Manuel Neur.
Coming to defenders, football fans searched the Brazilian star pair David Luiz and Thiago Silva more than any other in the event.
Moving to the midfield, the Japanese-Chilean duo of Atsuto Uchida and Gonzalo Jara along with German`s Sami Khedira and Italian veteran Andrea Pirlo were the most searched.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?