Lionel Messi gets his second European Golden Boot
Barcelona: Argentina and Barcelona forward Lionel Messi has been awarded his second European Golden Boot for scoring the most number of goals in Europe’s domestic league last season.
Messi thanked his team-mates for helping him to add another trophy to his collection, after receiving the award.
The 25-year-old edged out fellow Liga star Cristiano Ronaldo, who hit the back of the net an impressive 46 times, in comparison to Messi`s haul of 50.
That tally was enough to break former Dinamo Bucharest striker Dudu Georgescu`s record of 47 goals, which has stood since the 1976-77 season.
``It is a prize for scoring goals, but without my team-mates I couldn`t have scored them,`` he told reporters.
"I remember goals not because of their beauty, but because of their importance.”
"I am happy to win my second Golden Shoe. Although individual trophies are not what I compete for, I play to win team trophies."
The Argentine then thanked his Camp Nou employers and revealed he hopes to stay at the club for the whole of his career.
"I`m grateful to Barcelona for what they`ve done for me. My dream is to end my career at the club, before returning to Argentina," Messi added.
His club coach Tito Vilanova also took the time to comment on his player`s achievement, claiming the forward was a unique phenomenon.
"Messi Golden Shoe? I don`t think we`ll ever see another player like Leo. Mainly because of the way he understands the game."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Foreigners should not wear skirts and roam alone at night: Tourism minister
- Mom-to-be Kareena Kapoor Khan spills glamour at Lakme Fashion Week 2016! – View pics
- Most Asian markets slump, Tokyo soars on US rate talk
- Italy rescues around 1,100 migrants in Mediterranean
- Usain Bolt was poor, eating beef helped him win nine medals in Olympics: BJP MP Udit Raj