Lionel Messi is a god: Samuel Eto`o
Makhachkala: Anzhi Makhachkala striker Samuel Eto`o has labelled Lionel Messi a "god" and praised his grounded personality.
The pair spent five years together at Barcelona between 2004 and 2009 and having formed a firm friendship with the Argentine off the pitch, the Cameroon international is desperate to see him add international honours to his trophy cabinet.
"Messi is a god, as a person and even more as a player," he said in an interview.
"I hope that he wins the World Cup with Argentina. To the gods of the world, all I ask is that you give him that chance because I have seen him grow. I can only hope for the best because I have seen and know what a good boy he is."
The 31-year-old also spoke about the effect former Blaugrana team-mate Ronaldinho had on him during his time with the Catalan club.
"He is a genius, and not just in football. The day I was upset, I did not play well, but when you saw him arrive in the locker room with a smile on his face, you knew he was going to roll," he added.
Eto`o moved to Russian club Anzhi in 2011 after a two-year spell with Inter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured