Lionel Messi is a god: Samuel Eto`o
Makhachkala: Anzhi Makhachkala striker Samuel Eto`o has labelled Lionel Messi a "god" and praised his grounded personality.
The pair spent five years together at Barcelona between 2004 and 2009 and having formed a firm friendship with the Argentine off the pitch, the Cameroon international is desperate to see him add international honours to his trophy cabinet.
"Messi is a god, as a person and even more as a player," he said in an interview.
"I hope that he wins the World Cup with Argentina. To the gods of the world, all I ask is that you give him that chance because I have seen him grow. I can only hope for the best because I have seen and know what a good boy he is."
The 31-year-old also spoke about the effect former Blaugrana team-mate Ronaldinho had on him during his time with the Catalan club.
"He is a genius, and not just in football. The day I was upset, I did not play well, but when you saw him arrive in the locker room with a smile on his face, you knew he was going to roll," he added.
Eto`o moved to Russian club Anzhi in 2011 after a two-year spell with Inter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- 'Second Hand Husband' review: Fails to impress