Lionel Messi most like me, says Pele
Rio De Janeiro: Pele says Lionel Messi is the player that most reminds him of himself among football`s current generation.
In an interview with the FIFA Weekly magazine published Friday, the Brazilian legend suggested the 26-year-old Argentinian deserved to win the Ballon D`Or for a fifth time despite an injury-wracked 2013, Xinhua reported.
"[Franck] Ribery, [Zlatan] Ibrahimovic and Cristiano Ronaldo all have different characteristics, but all are attackers like me," Pele said. "In terms of the role he plays within the team, Messi has the style which is most similar to mine."
When asked to name his favourite current player, Pele replied: "I really can`t compare those four players. It`s impossible to answer that question."
Ronaldo and Ibrahimovic are more similar, but Ribery is a classic playmaker, and Messi simply can`t be compared with anybody."
The Ballon D`Or winner will be announced on Jan 13. The three finalists are Franck Ribery, Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference