Lippi plans to be realistic against Bayern
Agadir: Marcello Lippi will take a realistic strategy against Pep Guardiola when Asian champions Guangzhou Evergrande meet Bayern Munich at Club World Cup here Tuesday.
Guangzhou, the first-ever Chinese side having won the Asian Champions League, will challenge the European Champions League winner in the semi-final at Agadir Stadium, reports Xinhua.
"It will be a tough match for us. We will play against one of the best teams in the world as everyone knows," Lippi said in a pre-match conference Monday.
"But reaching semi-final is not easy for us. We proved we deserved to be here. It will not easy for both sides tomorrow," added by the 65-year-old Italian, who coached his country to win the World Cup in 2006.
Though Guangzhou outclassed African champion Al Ahly 2-0 in the quarter-final, Lippi said his side should be "realistic" against German football giant who nearly won all the possible trophies in last season.
"Obviously, we are attacking against a great team. It will be difficult for us to push for goals in front of them."
"We need to be realistic. We have to unite together and play as an defensive side. We can create difficulties for them if we avoid the mistakes we made in the last match. And we need some luck of course. Then we will see what happen tomorrow."
Lippi, the first and to date the only coach to win both European and Asian Champions League, said his side also need to play with enthusiasm and expectation to narrow the gap.
Guangzhou`s captain Zheng Zhi, who was listed as one of the most dangerous men by Bayern`s head coach Guardiola, said it was normal for any coach in the world to know the opponent`s key player.
"No matter Lippi or Guardiola, all the coaches have to know opponent`s squad. They (Bayern) are the same," said Zheng, who used to play for the former Premier League side Charlton and Scottish champion Celtic.
"But I want to say, several years ago, no one can imagine one Chinese club can play in this tournament, and even can reach the semi-final. But we did. So no matter what we face, we hope to show our strength and level."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Really? Katrina Kaif rebuffs breaking up with Ranbir Kapoor?