Liverpool defender Agger wants European football back at Anfield
Liverpool: Liverpool defender Daniel Agger is eager to ensure the Anfield outfit qualify for European football again, and is targeting a return to the Champions League.
The Reds have not participated in the tournament since the 2009-10 season, though Agger believes Liverpool`s lack of European involvement this year could help them to a top-four finish in the Premier League.
"We would like to play in Europe, that is the most attractive, particularly the Champions League," Agger told Danish paper Politiken.
"But, of course, fewer matches lets us recover better and we get more focused on the [Premier League] matches and that might be an advantage.
"We set a goal before every match and that is to win. It`s almost impossible to win [every time], but we enter the pitch determined to win."
Liverpool have not finished above sixth place in the last four seasons, but Agger believes that slump could end if the club maintain their excellent start to the new campaign.
"We have been longing for a good start. We have got that now and we have to continue like that. There are still a lot of matches, but it looks positive,” Agger added.
"If you have seen many matches in the Premier League, you notice that everyone can beat each other.
"There is nothing that is certain and, as long as things are like that, we have got to gather points and see how far it will take us."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter