Liverpool go top after draw at Newcastle
London: Liverpool inched to the top of the Premier League table after twice coming from behind to earn a 2-2 draw at 10-man Newcastle United on Saturday.
French midfielder Yohan Cabaye gave Newcastle the lead mid-way through the first half with a 30-yard drive that plunged into the bottom-left corner.
Visiting captain Steven Gerrard equalised from the penalty spot just before half-time, taking his tally of Premier League goals to 100, after Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa was sent off for impeding Luis Suarez.
Against the odds, Newcastle restored their lead through 22-year-old substitute Paul Dummett, who was making only his second league appearance, only for Daniel Sturridge to head home a 72nd-minute equaliser from Suarez`s cross.
The point took Liverpool a point clear of previous leaders Arsenal, who can return to the top of the table if they avoid defeat at home to Norwich City later on Saturday.
Newcastle United climbed one place to ninth, leapfrogging champions Manchester United, who will bid to revive their title defence at home to fourth-place Southampton.
Chelsea, third, host promoted Cardiff City and fifth-place Manchester City visit West Ham United, who stunned Tottenham Hotspur 3-0 at White Hart Lane in their last outing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Hrithik Roshan – Kangana Ranaut legal tussle: Everything will come out soon, says actor
- Sidharth Malhotra chills like a boss! See pic
- Gold price extends gains, up Rs 200 per 10 grams
- Your travel cost to go down by 40% with India's first ever CNG two wheelers
- Lionel Messi announces international retirement after Copa America loss vs Chile