Liverpool go top after draw at Newcastle
London: Liverpool inched to the top of the Premier League table after twice coming from behind to earn a 2-2 draw at 10-man Newcastle United on Saturday.
French midfielder Yohan Cabaye gave Newcastle the lead mid-way through the first half with a 30-yard drive that plunged into the bottom-left corner.
Visiting captain Steven Gerrard equalised from the penalty spot just before half-time, taking his tally of Premier League goals to 100, after Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa was sent off for impeding Luis Suarez.
Against the odds, Newcastle restored their lead through 22-year-old substitute Paul Dummett, who was making only his second league appearance, only for Daniel Sturridge to head home a 72nd-minute equaliser from Suarez`s cross.
The point took Liverpool a point clear of previous leaders Arsenal, who can return to the top of the table if they avoid defeat at home to Norwich City later on Saturday.
Newcastle United climbed one place to ninth, leapfrogging champions Manchester United, who will bid to revive their title defence at home to fourth-place Southampton.
Chelsea, third, host promoted Cardiff City and fifth-place Manchester City visit West Ham United, who stunned Tottenham Hotspur 3-0 at White Hart Lane in their last outing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users