Liverpool target Holtby confirms intention to leave Schalke
London: The 22-year-old refused to sign an extension with his current side, paving the way for a Bosman move in the summer, and the club`s general manager insists they respect his decision.
Schalke midfielder and Liverpool target Lewis Holtby has confirmed his intention to leave the German club on a free transfer at the end of the season.
The 22-year-old has decided against renewing his current contract, which expires in the summer, after failing to reach an agreement with the Bundesliga outfit.
The former Alemannia Aachen star had been locked in negotiations with his employers for a number of months but, after team-mate and Holland international Klaas-Jan Huntelaar agreed a new deal earlier in December, the club have revealed that the German international is set to leave the club.
The club`s general manager and former player, Horst Heldt, indicated that Schalke respect the German`s personal decision but is confident that he can still play a vital role in the remainder of the team`s season.
"We wished that Lewis [Holtby] saw his future at Schalke," he told their official website. "But like Klaas-Jan now he has made a personal decision that we respect.
"We are sure that he will give [everything] up to the last day of the season to make the contribution of our team successful."
Brendan Rodgers` side now look favourites to secure the services of Holtby in the summer, but they are sure to face competition for the boyhood Everton fan.
A whole host of Europe`s top teams are said to be interested in the midfielder, with Arsenal the other Premier League outfit reportedly linked with a move.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert