Liverpool tells Carroll to leave before transfer deadline
London: Liverpool has informed Andy Carroll that he can leave the club before tomorrow’s transfer deadline as they are trying to finance bids for Theo Walcott and Clint Dempsey.
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is ready to ditch the club’s record signing to raise funds to bring in new faces before the summer transfer window closes.
AC Milan, Newcastle, and West Ham have all been linked with the 23-year-old, but only the Hammers have got close to matching Liverpool``s valuation.
Asked if Carroll would still be a Liverpool player when the window closes tomorrow night, Rodgers said: “It is too early to say. I can only be straight with a player on where he stands. You don’t need to be a rocket scientist to see Andy has been a cover player for us.
“He has been excellent in terms of his attitude and his acceptance of where he is at. But I’m not sure we are in a position to have £35m players as third-choice strikers or wingers who might be on £6m a year. I don’t think the club is in that position. The club needs repair financially.”
Walcott’s standoff with Arsenal, where he has rejected a £75,000-a-week offer, has fuelled interest from Liverpool and Manchester City.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre