Liverpool won`t gamble in January for Champions League push: Rodgers
London: Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has insisted he will resist the temptation to spend heavily in the January transfer window in the hope of grabbing a Champions League spot.
The Reds are seven points short of fourth-placed Tottenham, despite having endured a mixed start to the season under their new boss.
And, despite remaining committed to bringing fresh faces in, the Northern Irishman was keen to dampen expectations regarding big-money moves.
He told the Independent: "There is a bigger picture for sure and it goes back to affordability. We will spend money in January to try and bring fresh faces into the group and give us that support at the top end.
"But the reality [about] all the names bandied about is `are they going to be available?` Certainly we will bring in what we can help us and then we will revisit again.
"All our problems were never going to be solved in this window because the January window is one of the least productive and the least movement goes on there.
"But we will look to solve some of our problems then and then we will look to revisit it in the summer knowing that in the summer we will be better placed than the last previous summer."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song