Llorente replaces injured Costa in Spanish squad
Madrid: Diego Costa will have to wait until 2014 to make his debut for the Spanish national team after the Brazilian born forward was forced to pull out of the squad for the forthcoming friendly matches against South Africa and Equatorial Guinea with a torn muscle in his groin.
Costa would almost certainly have made his debut for Spain in one of the two matches after opting to play for Spain ahead of his native Brazil.
Once available, Spain coach Vicente del Bosque wasted no time in naming him in his squad, although he made it clear that Costa in no way had a place in the squad for next summer`s World Cup finals in Brazil.
However, as so often happens in football, fate in the shape of injury has played a hand and Costa was forced to withdraw from the squad he picked up during Atletico Madrid`s 1-1 draw in Villarreal Sunday evening.
After being examined by both club and country doctors, he was advised to pull out and Del Bosque has named Juventus striker, Fernando Llorente in his place.
The former Athletic Club Bilbao forward has made just one appearance for his country in the past 15 months, but has started to hit form since his move to Italy in the summer, scoring in both of Juventus` Champions League matches against Real Madrid and also in their game in Serie A at the weekend.
Costa will have to wait until March 5 next year for his possible debut when Spain play Italy in the Vicente Calderon. Ironically he made his debut for Brazil against the Italians earlier this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India