Llorente replaces injured Costa in Spanish squad
Madrid: Diego Costa will have to wait until 2014 to make his debut for the Spanish national team after the Brazilian born forward was forced to pull out of the squad for the forthcoming friendly matches against South Africa and Equatorial Guinea with a torn muscle in his groin.
Costa would almost certainly have made his debut for Spain in one of the two matches after opting to play for Spain ahead of his native Brazil.
Once available, Spain coach Vicente del Bosque wasted no time in naming him in his squad, although he made it clear that Costa in no way had a place in the squad for next summer`s World Cup finals in Brazil.
However, as so often happens in football, fate in the shape of injury has played a hand and Costa was forced to withdraw from the squad he picked up during Atletico Madrid`s 1-1 draw in Villarreal Sunday evening.
After being examined by both club and country doctors, he was advised to pull out and Del Bosque has named Juventus striker, Fernando Llorente in his place.
The former Athletic Club Bilbao forward has made just one appearance for his country in the past 15 months, but has started to hit form since his move to Italy in the summer, scoring in both of Juventus` Champions League matches against Real Madrid and also in their game in Serie A at the weekend.
Costa will have to wait until March 5 next year for his possible debut when Spain play Italy in the Vicente Calderon. Ironically he made his debut for Brazil against the Italians earlier this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- PM Modi condoles APJ Abdul Kalam's death
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- Cricket series can't happen along with terror attacks: Anurag Thakur warns PCB