Llorente replaces injured Costa in Spanish squad
Madrid: Diego Costa will have to wait until 2014 to make his debut for the Spanish national team after the Brazilian born forward was forced to pull out of the squad for the forthcoming friendly matches against South Africa and Equatorial Guinea with a torn muscle in his groin.
Costa would almost certainly have made his debut for Spain in one of the two matches after opting to play for Spain ahead of his native Brazil.
Once available, Spain coach Vicente del Bosque wasted no time in naming him in his squad, although he made it clear that Costa in no way had a place in the squad for next summer`s World Cup finals in Brazil.
However, as so often happens in football, fate in the shape of injury has played a hand and Costa was forced to withdraw from the squad he picked up during Atletico Madrid`s 1-1 draw in Villarreal Sunday evening.
After being examined by both club and country doctors, he was advised to pull out and Del Bosque has named Juventus striker, Fernando Llorente in his place.
The former Athletic Club Bilbao forward has made just one appearance for his country in the past 15 months, but has started to hit form since his move to Italy in the summer, scoring in both of Juventus` Champions League matches against Real Madrid and also in their game in Serie A at the weekend.
Costa will have to wait until March 5 next year for his possible debut when Spain play Italy in the Vicente Calderon. Ironically he made his debut for Brazil against the Italians earlier this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets