Lodeiro, Seedorf secure Botafogo victory
Rio de Janeiro: Uruguay international midfielder Nicolas Lodeiro scored twice as Botafogo won their eighth consecutive match with a 4-1 victory over Nova Iguacu in Brazil`s Campeonato Carioca.
Former AC Milan star Clarence Seedorf opened the scoring for Botafogo with a 19th minute header before Lodeiro gave his team a 3-0 lead by netting twice in 12 minutes early in the second half on Sunday.
Dieguinho reduced the deficit for Nova Iguacu four minutes from time before 19-year-old striker Vitinho made it 4-1 with an 89th-minute finish.
Lodeiro now has seven goals in 2013 and Seedorf six.
"It was a great team effort," Seedorf said after the match. "It`s a long year with a lot of matches so it`s important we maintain this level."
Botafogo are now assured a berth in the semifinals of the Rio Cup, the second phase of the Campeonato Carioca.
Meanwhile Flamengo defeated rivals Fluminense in Sunday`s only other match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC allows Italian marine Salvatore Girone to return home
- Bihar: Former Bihar CM Jitan Manjhi's convoy attacked in Gaya
- Punjab and Haryana HC stays reservation for Jats, 5 other communities
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Bankruptcy law credit positive for banks: Moody's
- Indonesia's Mount Sinabung continues eruption
- Congress, BJP quote Mirza Ghalib to spar over Modi govt's two years in power
- Renault forays into pre-owned car biz in India
- When Luna the husky demanded belly rubs during car ride – Watch the adorable moment!