Lokomotiv Moscow draw blank to retake Russian top spot
Moscow: Lokomotiv Moscow went back to the top of the Russian Premier League table on Sunday despite being held to a 0-0 draw by city rivals Spartak.
The railway-backed side have 48 points from 23 matches, one point ahead of second-placed Zenit St Petersburg.
Another Moscow club Dynamo, who battled back from a goal down to beat Tomsk 3-1, sit third on 43 points.
"It was a tight match between two strong opponents," Lokomotiv manager Leonid Kuchuk said.
"I`m pleased with my team`s performance as we didn`t allow Spartak to create any threat to our goal.
"We failed to score but still showed quality play, keeping Spartak under constant pressure. If we continue playing that style I believe we will achieve the needed results in upcoming matches."
Tomsk took a 48th-minute lead through defender Vladimir Rykov, but Dynamo`s Russian international forward Alexander Kokorin levelled just three minutes later.
German striker Kevin Kuranyi put Dynamo 2-1 up with a close-range header in the 64th minute.
Midfielder Alexei Ionov rounded off the scoring with three minutes to go after Tomsk`s Czech goalkeeper Petr Vasek parried Kokorin`s initial close-range shot.
"We could have scored more goals as we also had chances in the first half," Dynamo manager Dan Petresu said.
"Luckily, we managed to come back and win. But we should not lose control in future games."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read