Lokomotiv Moscow draw blank to retake Russian top spot
Moscow: Lokomotiv Moscow went back to the top of the Russian Premier League table on Sunday despite being held to a 0-0 draw by city rivals Spartak.
The railway-backed side have 48 points from 23 matches, one point ahead of second-placed Zenit St Petersburg.
Another Moscow club Dynamo, who battled back from a goal down to beat Tomsk 3-1, sit third on 43 points.
"It was a tight match between two strong opponents," Lokomotiv manager Leonid Kuchuk said.
"I`m pleased with my team`s performance as we didn`t allow Spartak to create any threat to our goal.
"We failed to score but still showed quality play, keeping Spartak under constant pressure. If we continue playing that style I believe we will achieve the needed results in upcoming matches."
Tomsk took a 48th-minute lead through defender Vladimir Rykov, but Dynamo`s Russian international forward Alexander Kokorin levelled just three minutes later.
German striker Kevin Kuranyi put Dynamo 2-1 up with a close-range header in the 64th minute.
Midfielder Alexei Ionov rounded off the scoring with three minutes to go after Tomsk`s Czech goalkeeper Petr Vasek parried Kokorin`s initial close-range shot.
"We could have scored more goals as we also had chances in the first half," Dynamo manager Dan Petresu said.
"Luckily, we managed to come back and win. But we should not lose control in future games."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!