Long way for Messi and Rooney to be branded as greats: Pele
London: Brazilian legend Pele has reckoned that French footballer Zinedine Zidane was a more complete player than Argentine striker Lionel Messi, who is touted as the finest footballer today.
"For example, watch Lionel Messi play for Barcelona. He is very good. Exceptional. But for Argentina, he``s completely different,” a leading daily quoted Pele, as saying.
"Compare him to Zinedine Zidane. He won the World Cup and was at the top for 15 years. He was a more complete player than Messi,” he added.
"Before Zidane, there was Johan Cruyff, Franz Beckenbauer, Michel Platini and Bobby Moore. Great players who won World Cups or, in Cruyff and Platini`s case, starred in them,” Pele further said.
He also said that England striker Wayne Rooney has a long way to go to achieve his stature.
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson had earlier described Rooney as "The White Pele".
"He`s a good player. But you can`t really compare him to me. I scored a lot of goals. I don`t know if Rooney has,” Pele said.
He also rated Dutch footballer Cruyff higher than Argentine player Diego Maradona
Pele predicted that the US would be the next major force in world football.
He further said hosting the 2014 World Cup would bring Brazil to the notice of the world as a country, rather than just their football.
"The country has a great opportunity to leave a legacy. We will always have good players, but we have a problem with coaches. We are always changing them. This needs to be sorted,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened