Lorient win Brittany derby while Ajaccio stay bottom
Paris: Lorient scored a couple of early goals to beat Guingamp 2-0 in the Brittany derby as a 2-0 defeat at Nice kept Ajaccio bottom of Ligue 1 on Saturday.
Yann Jouffre and Kevin Monnet-Paquet struck for Lorient in the eighth and 12th minutes respectively to put Christian Gourcuff`s side in control and they held on to move into the top half of the table.
Christian Bruls scored after just five minutes in Nice to help keep Ajaccio rooted to the bottom of the table.
Dario Cvitanich wrapped up the victory with a goal in injury time as Ajaccio dropped to 12 points from safety.
It was a similarly depressing tale for Sochaux, who lost 2-0 at home to 2012 champions Montpellier, to remain deeply rooted in relegation trouble.
They are just two points above Ajaccio and 10 points from safety.
Anthony Mounier opened the scoring for Montpellier after 19 minutes before Nathan Sinkala was sent-off for the home side 11 minute before the break.
Siaka Tiene guaranteed a crucial away victory for Montpellier with a goal 16 minutes from time as the south coast side eased four points clear of the relegation zone.
Elsewhere, Bastia defeated Bordeaux 1-0 while Rennes and Evian finished 0-0.
Adama Ba was the star for Bastia as his goal just before half-time was enough to put the skids on Bordeaux`s recent good form.
Rennes and Evian finished scoreless in Brittany in a match that edged both sides a point further ahead of Valenciennes in the final drop zone position.
Valenciennes missed the chance to close the gap on Evian, four points above them, as adverse weather conditions forced their clash at Marseille to be postponed.
On Friday, Saint-Etienne moved to within three points of the Champions League places by defeating third-placed Lille 2-0, Brandao and Franck Tabanou netting for Les Verts while Florent Balmont was sent off for Lille.
Leaders Paris Saint-Germain and second-placed Monaco are both in action on Sunday, taking on Nantes and Toulouse respectively
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why