Luis Aragones, of famed tiki taka dies, aged 75
Zee Media Bureau
Madrid: The legendary Spanish coach, Luis Aragones, who helped Spain win 2008 Euro, died aged 75 on Saturday. After spending majority of his playing career with Atletico Madrid, Luis started his managerial career with the capital club in 1974.
After managing not less than seven Spanish clubs in his career, Luis took the responsibility of managing the national team in 2004. In a period of four years, the former national team striker laid the foundation of future world conquering team. Under his leadership, the Iberian team started playing the famed tiki taka, which is more famously associated with the current Spanish champions, Barcelona.
After winning the 2008 Euro, Spain went on to win the 2010 World Cup and also defending the continental trophy under new boss Vicente del Bosque. However, the national team that Bosque inherited from his predecessor, was already being touted as a world beater with talents like Xavi, Andres Iniesta, Carles Puyol, etc. In fact, Bosque still continues to deploy these players in their positions, once earmarked by Aragones.
In his long and successful coaching career, Aragones won one La Liga title with Atletico Madrid, a club with which he had already won three league titles as a player. Besides helping Atleti win another three Copa del Rey trophies, Aragones also helped Barcelona lift the domestic cup.
During his illustrious playing career, the former striker scored 172 goals for Atletico Madrid and three international goals for Spain. For his exploits with La Liga winning team – Atletico, El Sabio de Hortaleza was honoured with Pichichi Trophy for 1969-70 season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read