Luis Suarez is a good boy, says Brendan Rodgers
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers said that Luis Suarez is a good boy. Despite all the troubles associated with his former striker, Rodgers had always held the Uruguayan in high esteem. Further cementing the bond, the Suarez had reportedly sent a “all the best message” to his former boss ahead of Liverpool`s season opening fixture.
After guiding his team to a hard-fought win over the visiting Southampton side, Rodgers revealed about the message, “He’s a good boy but he’s gone. His heart is with Liverpool. He’ll always be Liverpool and it was a lovely touch.”
However the 41-year-old manager was quick to assess the situation at hand. "I do still think we need another striker. It is something that we will look at but that will depend on the availability of one. So we will search for that through to the end of the window but you see the players, the quality that we have," he added.
Always known as one of the best finishers in the game, Suarez scored 31 goals in the 2013-14 season to help Liverpool finish second in the league table and qualify for the UEFA Champions League after a long time. But, he left Anfield for Barcelona for £75m, amidst renewed saga of biting, this time involving an Italian defender during the Brazil World Cup.
Following Suarez`s departure, many have predicted a poor season for the Reds. It seemed, his absence was being projected during the Southampton fixture, but a new SAS strike force came in their rescue with both Daniel Sturridge and Raheem Sterling scoring.
Then, a confident Rodgers allayed the fears by saying, "I don`t think anyone is giving us any hope of getting in the top four but that was the expectancy last season as well. I feel we will attack the season as we did last year - we can only do our best and we will see where it takes us. The fluency will come, today was about getting the win and we got the win."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued