Luis Suarez Timeline
Paris: Luis Suarez on Thursday saw his four-month ban for biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini at the World Cup upheld by the Court of Arbitration for Sport, although he was allowed to resume training.
The Uruguay international was suspended by FIFA from all football-related activity for biting Chiellini in June, with the punishment also including a nine-match suspension from internationals and a hefty fine.
That was the latest in a series of controversies during the 27-year-old`s career.
Following is a timeline of incidents involving the new Barcelona signing:
- Makes international debut for Uruguay against Colombia but is sent off late in the game after receiving a second caution for dissent.
- Having joined Ajax from Uruguayan club Nacional, he is suspended after a half-time changing room row with team-mate Albert Luque.
- Sent off in Uruguay`s World Cup quarter-final with Ghana for preventing the African nation from scoring a last-minute goal by handling the ball on the line. Enthusiastically celebrates Asamoah Gyan`s subsequent penalty miss from the sidelines before Uruguay go through to the semi-finals on penalties.
- Given a seven-game suspension by the Dutch Football Association and fined by Ajax for biting PSV Eindhoven`s Otman Bakkal on the shoulder during a league match.
- Now at Liverpool, he causes controversy with a dive that results in a red card for Everton`s Jack Rodwell in the Merseyside derby.
- Accused of racially abusing Manchester United left-back Patrice Evra during a Premier League match, for which he later receives an eight-match ban and a £40,000 ($64,000, 48,000 euros) fine.
- Handed a further one-match ban after making an offensive hand gesture towards Fulham supporters.
- Sparks controversy again after refusing to shake Evra`s hand as United and Liverpool line-up prior to kick-off in a game at Old Trafford.
- Celebrates a goal against Everton with a comedy dive in front of Toffees manager David Moyes, who had claimed "divers" like Suarez were turning people away from the game.
- Handles the ball prior to scoring the winning goal in Liverpool`s 2-1 victory at non-league Mansfield Town in the FA Cup third round.
- Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers warns Suarez could face punishment from the club after admitting he dived to try to win a penalty against Stoke.
- Bites Chelsea`s Branislav Ivanovic on the arm but escapes punishment on the pitch as the referee fails to see it, and scores Liverpool`s equaliser seven minutes into stoppage time as they draw 2-2 at Anfield. Fined by club the following day and charged with violent conduct by the FA. Subsequently handed a 10-match ban by an independent regulatory commission, which Liverpool opted not to appeal.
- Television replays show Suarez moving his head towards Chiellini, who responded by swinging an arm before chasing the referee to apparently insist he had been bitten on his shoulder. Banned by FIFA from all football for four months, as well as nine international matches, and ordered to pay a fine of 100,000 Swiss francs ($112,000).