Luiz Felipe Scolari has been confirmed as the new coach of Brazil
Brasilia: Former boss Mano Menezes was sacked last week after failing to meet expectations, having been knocked out of the 2011 Copa America by Paraguay on penalties, before losing to Mexico in the 2012 Olympics final.
And the former Chelsea boss, who coached his country between 2001 and 2002, was installed as the early favourite to take over alongside Santos` Muricy Ramalho.
During his first reign in charge of his country, Scolari won the 2002 World Cup, beating Germany 3-0 in the final, and is targeting another triumph when Brazil host the tournament in 2014.
"We have an obligation to win the World Cup," he told reporters at his unveiling.
"We are not the favourites to win it now, but we aim to become favourites as we are starting to see the results of our hard work.
"If a national team that have won five World Cups is organising the World Cup, you cannot think about just making it to the final or semi-finals."
Meanwhile, another former coach, Carlos Alberto Parreira, is returning to the fold as team director, and is proud to have been selected for the role.
"It`s an honour to take part in my fifth World Cup - that`s not something everyone can achieve," he said.
"I feel as happy as a little boy right now. We are not thinking that we are going to win [the World Cup]. We are not the favourites right now, but I`m sure that within one year, we will be a winning team."
Less successful spells in charge of Chelsea and Uzbekistan outfit Bunyodkor followed, but the 64-year-old returned to his homeland last year, winning the Copa do Brasil with Palmeiras.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India