Lukas Podolski stripped of captaincy by Cologne
Berlin: Germany forward Lukas Podolski has been stripped of the captaincy by Cologne and Brazilian defender Pedro Geromel appointed as his successor, coach Stale Solbakken said.
Norwegian Solbakken, yet to take charge of a competitive match since joining the club in June, acknowledged the decision could stir up discontent less than two weeks before the start of the Bundesliga season.
"I can understand the reactions this decision will provoke and I can understand the disappointment of some fans," the coach told reporters.
"But I ask the fans to understand my decision is for the benefit of the whole team. Pedro Geromel will as captain exemplify the new culture of the team and embody our new overall sporting concept," Solbakken added.
"In my conversations with him, Lukas has expressed his disappointment but at the same time respected and understood the reasons for my decision."
Podolski, 26, returned to Cologne in 2009 after three seasons of mixed fortunes with Bayern Munich and is a favourite of the supporters.
He scored 13 Bundesliga goals last season to help the club finish 10th. He has been a regular for Germany since 2004, making 89 appearances.
Geromel joined Cologne in 2008 from Vitoria Guimaraes of Portugal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part IV
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- US economy expands 0.5% in Q1, slowest in two years
- MUST WATCH: What Indian Muslims said when they were asked to say 'Vande Matram', 'Bharat Mata ki Jai'
- Uber partners Gurugram Police in a bid to curb drunken driving
- IITs have been requested to offer Sanskrit as elective subject, confirms HRD Minister Smriti Irani
- Tribute to Shaktiman: Petrol pump in Dehradun to be named after police horse