Madrid ease towards Cup quarters with Osasuna win
Real Madrid took a huge step towards the quarter-finals of the Copa del Rey with a 2-0 win over Osasuna in the first leg of their last 16 tie on Thursday.
Karim Benzema got the hosts off to the perfect start when he headed in Luka Modric`s cross after 19 minutes.
Jese Rodriguez then gave Madrid breathing space in the tie when he chipped home Cristiano Ronaldo`s pass after half-time.
And Madrid were only denied a third in comic circumstances moments later as Ronaldo deflected Gareth Bale`s goalbound effort behind.
Real boss Carlo Ancelotti named a strong side with Bale returning to the starting line-up for the first time in four games following a calf injury.
Jese was also given a rare chance from the start and he thought he had won his side a penalty on 16 minutes when he went down under a challenge from Osasuna goalkeeper Asier Riesgo.
However, after originally pointing to the spot, referee Jesus Perez Montero reversed his decision and harshly booked Jese for diving.
Minutes later Madrid were in front as Benzema flicked home Modric`s free-kick to register his 99th goal for the club.
Ronaldo passed up a great chance to double the advantage when he fired straight at Riesgo after a lovely scooped pass from Bale as Madrid began the second-half with more purpose than they ended the first.
And the hosts took advantage of some woeful Osasuna defending to make it 2-0 just before the hour mark as Benzema and Ronaldo combined to tee up Jese to loft the ball over Riesgo.
That was to be the Spanish international`s last major involvement as he pulled up injured shortly afterwards and was replaced by Isco.
Bale should then have had his first goal since November as his goalbound shot from Benzema`s cut-back was deflected behind by Ronaldo.
But despite failing to add to their tally Madrid will be strong favourites to set up a quarter-final meeting with Alcorcon or Espanyol when they travel to Pamplona for the second leg next Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof