Malanda ruled out of Wolfsburg`s Champions League push
Berlin: Junior Malanda will miss VfL Wolfsburg`s push for a Champions League place after a scan Wednesday revealed he suffered torn knee ligaments in their German Cup semi-final defeat at Borussia Dortmund.
The 19-year-old defensive midfielder will miss the rest of the season after straining the cruciate ligament in his right knee and tearing the medial ligament in the 81st minute of Wolves` 2-0 defeat at Dortmund on Tuesday.
The Belgium Under-21 international is expected to be out for six to eight weeks.
"It`s a blessing in disguise, at least it`s not a torn cruciate ligament," said coach Dieter Hecking.
"It`s a pity for him, but at least he will be ready to go for it when the new season starts."
Malanda has made a good impression since joining Wolves from Belgium`s SV Zulte Waregem in December with two goals and an assist in seven Bundesliga appearances.
Wolfsburg, the 2009 German champions, are fifth in the Bundesliga, but just one point from fourth-placed Bayer Leverkusen, who are in the last Champions League place.
Wolves have a tricky run-in to the end of the season on May 10.
They face relegation-threatened Hamburg, Stuttgart and Freiburg, who are all desperate for points, before their final game against sixth-placed Borussia Moenchengladbach, who are just a point behind them and also fighting for a Champions League place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM