Malawi cry foul over Nations Cup training facilities
Luanda: Malawi claim they were denied a training ground for two days leading up to Thursday`s African Nations Cup finals defeat to hosts Angola in Luanda.
Coach Kinnah Phiri said a protest had been handed to the tournament organisers, the Confederation of African Football.
"We find it very strange that in this competition a team cannot be found a ground to train," he told reporters after the 2-0 loss in the Group A match.
"We are very disappointed because we feel that either the organising committee or the Angolan federation were working towards pushing Angola into the quarter-finals."
"Three times we went to a ground and found others using the pitch. We asked them to leave but they refused. We didn`t have a session over the last two days before the game."
Malawi, who beat Algeria 3-0 in their opening match, are second in the standings and are likely to qualify for the quarter-finals if they beat Mali in their last game in Cabinda on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble