Malawi cry foul over Nations Cup training facilities
Luanda: Malawi claim they were denied a training ground for two days leading up to Thursday`s African Nations Cup finals defeat to hosts Angola in Luanda.
Coach Kinnah Phiri said a protest had been handed to the tournament organisers, the Confederation of African Football.
"We find it very strange that in this competition a team cannot be found a ground to train," he told reporters after the 2-0 loss in the Group A match.
"We are very disappointed because we feel that either the organising committee or the Angolan federation were working towards pushing Angola into the quarter-finals."
"Three times we went to a ground and found others using the pitch. We asked them to leave but they refused. We didn`t have a session over the last two days before the game."
Malawi, who beat Algeria 3-0 in their opening match, are second in the standings and are likely to qualify for the quarter-finals if they beat Mali in their last game in Cabinda on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday