Mali coach Giresse wary of “Brazil of Africa”
Libreville: Coach Alain Giresse said his Mali players would have their work cut out to defeat Ivory Coast, a team he calls the “Brazil of Africa”, in Wednesday’s Nations Cup semi-finals.
Zambia also know they are underdogs against 2010 World Cup quarter-finals Ghana on the same day.
Former France midfielder Giresse heaped praise on the depth of quality in Ivory Coast’s squad, comparing them to five-times world champions Brazil.
“This is a game we have to approach with some circumspection but we see it as a challenge,” he told reporters ahead of the match in Libreville.
“We will take it slowly and look to match them in all departments.”
Mali squeezed through by beating co-hosts Gabon 5-4 on penalties in Sunday’s quarter-final in Libreville.
The Ivorians were 3-0 winners over co-hosts Equatorial Guinea on Saturday and will feel probably less tired than Mali who played an extra half hour of football one day later.
Ghana, who lost to Egypt in 2010, are trying to reach the final for the second edition running.
Ivory Coast last made the final in 2006 when they were beaten by Egypt on penalties.
Zambia coach Herve Renard believes Ghana are the “hot favourites” to lift the title this time.
“They have been the best team in Africa for the past few years, they almost reached the World Cup semi-finals,” said Renard who was assistant coach when Ghana made it to the Nations Cup semis four years ago.
“We will need something special to beat them in Bata,” he added.
Zambia reached the semis for the first time since 1996 by beating Sudan 3-0 on Saturday while Ghana had to go to extra time to eliminate Tunisia 2-1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- MHA notification: SC issues notice to Delhi govt
- Railways may hike AC class fares from June 1, 2015
- Protests outside IIT-Madras against ban on students' group
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 29, 2015
- Special: Heart-wrenching tales of elderly people in old age homes
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Maggi noodles controversy: Case to be filed against Nestle in UP today
- US formally removes Cuba from terror blacklist in landmark move
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- Arrival of Monsoon over Kerala delayed by 2-3 days: Met Department
- Log on to ahsec.nic.in: AHSEC 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Govt committed to One Rank, One Pension: PM Narendra Modi
- If Congress was pro-poor, why does poverty still exist in India, asks PM Narendra Modi