Man City crank up pressure on title rivals
London: Premier league Leaders Manchester City piled the pressure on Manchester United with a 2-0 victory over Bolton Wanderers on Saturday to move five points clear of their neighbours.
With United away to third-placed Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday, City stretched their lead through a 2-0 home defeat of Bolton Wanderers. Gael Clichy and Mario Balotelli scored in each half.
Arsenal have never been in the title race all season but strengthened their claims of a top-four finish as Robin van Persie struck both goals in a 2-1 victory at Liverpool and Chelsea slumped to a 1-0 defeat at West Bromwich Albion.
Van Persie`s stoppage time winner, his 31st goal of the season, put Arsenal three points ahead of fifth-placed Chelsea who were beaten at the Hawthorns by a late Gareth McAuley goal.
It was a poor day for the bottom three.
Wigan Athletic went down 2-0 at home to Swansea City, Bolton lost at City but Blackburn Rovers salvaged a point with a 1-1 home draw against Aston Villa.
Queen`s Park Rangers moved up a place to 16th, level on points with Blackburn, after a 1-1 draw at home to Everton.
Stoke City swapped places with Norwich City in eighth place with a 1-0 home victory over The Canaries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice