Man City power on with victory over Newcastle
London: Manchester City tightened their grip at the top of the Premier League with a 3-1 home victory over Newcastle United Saturday.
Goals from Mario Balotelli, Micah Richards and Sergio Aguero condemned Newcastle to their first defeat of the season and left rampant City as the only unbeaten side in the league.
City have 34 points from a possible 36 this season to lead Manchester United by eight points, although the champions were hoping to cut it to five with victory at Swansea City in the late kickoff.
Arsenal maintained their improvement with a fifth consecutive league victory thanks to Robin van Persie`s double in a 2-1 win at Norwich City, which moved the London club above Liverpool into sixth place with 22 points.
Liverpool (19) face fourth-placed Chelsea (22) Sunday, with fifth-placed Tottenham Hotspur (22) at home to eighth-placed Aston Villa Monday.
Bottom club Wigan Athletic ended a run of eight successive league defeats in a 3-3 home draw with fellow strugglers Blackburn Rovers, who equalised with an injury-time penalty.
Bolton Wanderers remained in the relegation zone after a 2-1 defeat at West Bromwich Albion.
Everton eased away from the bottom three courtesy of a 2-1 home defeat of Wolverhampton Wanderers, Queens Park Rangers won 3-2 at Stoke City, and Sunderland drew 0-0 with Fulham.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS