Man City’s Dzeko slams four demolishing Spurs 5-1
London: Edin Dzeko scored four times as Manchester City demolished Tottenham 5-1 at White Hart Lane to underline its credentials as serious challengers for the English Premier League title.
Roberto Mancini`s side produced a free-flowing performance that was a stark contrast to its dour approach last season, and champions Manchester United will have taken note as its rivals moved to the top of the table after opening the season with 12 goals in three successive victories.
Dzeko struck twice in seven minutes before halftime as he converted a cross from debutant Samir Nasri and then looped a header over Brad Friedel after another Nasri delivery unhinged the Spurs defence.
Nasri`s two assists was double the total he managed in a whole season last term for Arsenal.
The Bosnian striker completed his treble in the 55th minute when he slammed Yaya Toure`s cross past Friedel.
Sergio Aguero added the fourth - his third City goal following his club record 38 million move from Atletico Madrid - just five minutes later as the Argentina forward twisted past Michael Dawson before firing home.
Younes Kaboul headed home for Spurs in the 68th minute, but the hosts - who started with unsettled Chelsea target Luka Modric - conceded a fifth when Dzeko curled into the top corner in stoppage time and Harry Redknapp`s side sit bottom of the table after losing their opening two league games.
Elsewhere, Newcastle striker Leon Best bagged a clinical double to fire his side to a 2-1 victory over Fulham at St James` Park.
Best displayed predatory instincts that have been missing for much of his time on Tyneside as he struck twice in the second half to give Alan Pardew`s side`s their second win of the season.
Despite all the negative headlines about player unrest which have dogged Newcastle of late, the Magpies have now taken seven points from three matches and are still to concede a Premier League goal this season.
Clint Dempsey got one back for Fulham late on but, three games into Martin Jol`s reign, the west London outfit have only one point.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured