Man U closing gap on Barcelona: Van der Sar
London: Outgoing Manchester United goalkeeper Edwin Van der Sar believes the club is closing the gap with Barcelona.
According to the Dutchman, the fact that the Red Devils could keep the Catalan giants quite for 20 minutes during the Champions League final played at the Wembley last Saturday, spoke volumes about the club’s growth.
A newspaper quoted Van der Sar, as saying: "It took them 20 minutes to get into the game, so we doubled that from Rome!"
It was not the farewell match that the 40-year-old goalkeeper was hoping for as he now retires from football.
He said: "It will be very hard probably. It is not going to be easy. I never said that."
Van der Sar tried to be philosophical about the events at Wembley as United were taken apart going down 3-1.
He said: "It would have been great to go out on a win but it didn`t happen. We are disappointed, but hey that`s life, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. After equalising you hope the game is still open.”
His career has seen him win two Champions League medals with Ajax in 1995 and one with United in 2008 against Chelsea.
Van der Sar, capped 130 times for Holland, stood by his decision to retire despite manager Alex Ferguson and his team-mates trying to get him to change his mind.
He revealed: "It is the right time for me. I have done some coaching badges in England but I am not sure if I will finish them. I have put myself forward to do that in Holland as well but maybe it is too soon. I think I want to take a year out and do some nice things.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi