Man U striker Rooney only Englishman short-listed for prestigious Ballon d`Or award
London: Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney is the only Englishman to have made in to this year`s FIFA Ballon d`Or award despite his failure to shine at the Euro 2012.
Rooney is one of five Premier League players on the 23-man list, which includes three-time winner Lionel Messi and Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo, the Telegraph reports.
Rooney scored 34 goals for United last season, but he is unlikely to become the first Englishman since Michael Owen in 2001 to win the award.
Despite their Champions League success, Chelsea have just one player nominated - Didier Drogba, who left Stamford Bridge at the end of last season to move to Shanghai.
Rooney`s United team-mate Robin van Persie and the Manchester City trio of Sergio Aguero, Yaya Toure and Mario Balotelli make up the Premier League contingent, but Ronaldo is viewed as the only realistic threat to Messi`s bid to win the award for the fourth year in a row.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM