Man U striker Rooney only Englishman short-listed for prestigious Ballon d`Or award
London: Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney is the only Englishman to have made in to this year`s FIFA Ballon d`Or award despite his failure to shine at the Euro 2012.
Rooney is one of five Premier League players on the 23-man list, which includes three-time winner Lionel Messi and Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo, the Telegraph reports.
Rooney scored 34 goals for United last season, but he is unlikely to become the first Englishman since Michael Owen in 2001 to win the award.
Despite their Champions League success, Chelsea have just one player nominated - Didier Drogba, who left Stamford Bridge at the end of last season to move to Shanghai.
Rooney`s United team-mate Robin van Persie and the Manchester City trio of Sergio Aguero, Yaya Toure and Mario Balotelli make up the Premier League contingent, but Ronaldo is viewed as the only realistic threat to Messi`s bid to win the award for the fourth year in a row.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Check cgbse.nic.in, www.cgbse.net 10th HS Results 2016 Chhattisgarh CG Board, CGBSE today at 10 AM
- Pakistani Sikhs open temple after 73 years, risking attacks
- 20 killed in Syria regime strike on Aleppo
- Donald Trump vows `America first` foreign policy
- Salah Abdeslam slapped with terror charges over Paris attacks