Man United keen to set up academy: Madan Mitra
Kolkata: West Bengal sports minister Madan Mitra on Thursday said that the world`s most popular football club Manchester United were keen to set up an academy here and develop tourism ties with the state.
Mitra, along with AIFF vice-president Subrata Dutta and IFA secretary Utpal Ganguly, yesterday had an hour-long video conference with Manchester United global sales head Raffaella Valentino.
"She said the team were looking forward to visit Kolkata. Their main interest is to set up an academy here. They also want to develop tourism," Mitra said.
The video-conference was organised by a Bangalore-based sports management firm in connection with the proposed friendly clash between Manchester United and Juventus.
"The match is very much on. But, we are working out on a date. We want to hold it by August end or in November -- after the Puja festivities," Mitra said.
As per the AIFF rules, a permission has to be taken at least two and half months in advance to hold any international friendly in the country.
A top official of the sports management firm said Man United had already confirmed of the match but they were working out on a suitable date.
He further said that they have a plan B in place in which case they would organise a Legends XI match against Juventus if Man United decided not to come to India.
"The legends XI will have former stars like Fabio Cannavaro, Luis Figo, Hernan Crespo among others. But we are very hopeful of Man United match and academy here," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!