Man United lose Carrick for up to six weeks
London: Manchester United received a blow on Wednesday with the news that key midfielder Michael Carrick will be unavailable for up to six weeks due to an Achilles injury.
The 32-year-old withdrew from the England squad on Tuesday for the friendly games against Chile and Germany and faces a battle to return to fitness in time for the busy Christmas fixture schedule.
"Manchester United midfielder Michael Carrick will be out for four to six weeks with an Achilles injury, the club has confirmed," read a statement on the United website.
"The 32-year-old playmaker, who played the full 90 minutes in United`s 1-0 win over Arsenal at Old Trafford on Sunday, has appeared in 15 of the Reds` 18 matches so far this season but will be out of action until December."
Carrick stands to miss Premier League games against Cardiff City, his former club Tottenham Hotspur, Everton and Newcastle United, as well as United`s final two Champions League group games against Bayer Leverkusen and Shakhtar Donetsk.
A six-week absence would also leave him unavailable for the league game at Aston Villa on December 15, as well as the League Cup quarter-final against Stoke City three days later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Fire at police station near Chennai's Marina Beach; police disperse protesters