Man United's David Moyes diatribe ends with the FA caution, fine
Zee Media Bureau/Jayanta Oinam
New Delhi: In his short tenure at Manchester United, David Moyes has learnt to live with hullabaloo. Following criticisms from all and sundry after a tumultuous start to his Red Devils’ managerial role, the Football Association has told him to behave.
The former Everton manager has been complaining about the quality of refereeing. With the frequency of Man United’s defeats increasing, his tirades and blames on the match officials also increased. Despite being nominated for the Manager of the Month in December, the Scot finds himself in the wrong side of popularity after his diatribe on the referee Andre Marriner. The referee gave a penalty to Sunderland, thus handing Man United their League Cup exit.
Even Sir Alex Ferguson – himself a fiery character in the touchlines, would have needed some help to match his compatriot’s verbosity on that occasion. Moyes was heard as saying, ‘We`re having to play them as well as the opposition at the moment’, obviously referring to the referee and his deputies with flags. All for that match-deciding decision, given in favour of the Black Cats! Imagine a demoralise United team taking on such a union! The all-powerful FA took offence on that seemingly nonchalant and insightful comment, and subsequently sent down directives.
For the record, the defeat was third in a row for once a formidable Greater Manchester side, and a first since May 2002. Earlier, they have lost to visiting Tottenham Hotspurs in their league encounter, which also, according to Moyes, witnessed the poor quality of officiating. Then, the Old Trafford club’s FA Cup exit in the hands of Wales outfit, Swansea. It’s understandable that the ever increasing number of defeats combined with ostensibly wrong or unfavourable decisions in between, compromised Moyes’ threshold level. But, for the game, the association and the precedent they set… it’s still a bad remark. For which, Moyes himself accepted the conclusion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical