Man U’s CL clash with Madrid like ‘job audition’ for Mourinho
London: Manchester United would face Spanish champions Real Madrid in the Champions League round of 16, and this all-important clash could be similar to a job audition for Santiago Bernabeu boss Jose Mourinho, who is in contention to replace Old Trafford gaffer Sir Alex Ferguson once he retires.
Real Madrid`s visit to Manchester United and Old Trafford may be more than just a cup tie for Jose Mourinho, according to a report in the Telegraph.
Jose Mourinho would deny it but he will be auditioning for the Manchester United job when he leads his Real Madrid side to Old Trafford in March for the tie of the Champions League round of 16, the paper added.
While Cristiano Ronaldo relives his past in front of the Stretford End, Mourinho will be thinking of his future more than those clashes with Sir Alex Ferguson from his Chelsea days, it said.
Publicly, Mourinho would think it abhorrent to have to impress a board of directors by knocking their team out of a competition. His ego would not submit to a beauty parade. United, though, would offer the smoothest return to the Premier League when his voyage across Italy and Spain is over, the paper further reported.
The paper further added that some senior figures at Old Trafford are set against Mourinho as Ferguson’s successor, citing his appetite for chaos and lack of interest in youth development.
But it would be impossible to discount him were United to make a purely pragmatic, trophy-based decision about who to hire next, it added.
Ferguson is not ceding power yet but Mourinho will be the most eager candidate for the post, the paper concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?