Manchester City boss Pellegrini vows to topple rivals United
London: Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini is eager to topple local rivals Manchester United next season, but admits the Premier League runners-up must strengthen their squad to catch the Red Devils.
The former Malaga boss met the press for the first time since his appointment as Roberto Mancini`s replacement and spoke of his desire to bring success back to the Etihad Stadium.
"We have very good players and we can reach important targets," said the Chilean.
"We will try to do the very best that we can and then we will see how many trophies we can win.
"We don`t have a priority. We know we have to improve in the Champions League but the Premier League is just as important. We will try to do our best in all the competitions we enter.
"When Manchester City won the Premier League it was one of the most important moments in the club`s history and try to repeat it.
"One of the most important things for City fans is to beat Manchester United and we will try to do that. This year, the same as in other years, we will try to be on top of United."
Pellegrini has already acquired Brazilian midfielder Fernandinho and Sevilla`s Jesus Navas, but admitted he was in the market for more players, particularly in the striking department following the departure of Carlos Tevez.
"We only have two strikers at the moment and we need another one but I am not going to talk about rumours. When players arrive then we will talk," Pellegrini continued.
"We need a very good squad, a strong squad with two players for every position."
Pelligrini was also non-committal on the futures of Gareth Barry and Joleon Lescott, who both have been linked with moves away from the club this summer.
"In the next few weeks we will consider all the situations for different players," he added.
"We will sit down with Txiki Begiristain [the club`s sporting director] and with the players and discuss the situation."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000